Author: Noel Jameson
You read it right -- these ten patriotic quotes are to celebrate Cinco De Mayo, an often misunderstood holiday. Many Americans do not understand the significance of the holiday. Many believe it is strictly a Mexican affair. I'm here to tell you that Cinco De Mayo should be celebrated by Americans too!
After all, the celebration of the holiday has to do with Mexico defeating the French, which prevented Napoleon (who hated the United States) from supplying the confederate rebels for another year. With that in mind, here are ten patriotic quotes celebrating Cinco De Mayo and democracy in general!
1. "Cinco de Mayo has come to represent a celebration of the contributions that Mexican Americans and all Hispanics have made to America." ~ Joe Baca
2. "If liberty and equality, as is thought by some, are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in the government to the utmost." ~ Aristotle
3. "People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote - a very different thing." ~ Walter H. Judd
4. "Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people." ~ Abraham Lincoln
5. "Freedom is when the people can speak, democracy is when the government listens." ~ Alastair Farrugia
6. "I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him." ~ Abraham Lincoln
7. "Honor to the soldier, and Sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country's cause. Honor also to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field, and serves, as he best can, the same cause." ~ Abraham Lincoln
8. "The history of every country begins in the heart of a man or woman." ~ Willa Cather
9. "True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else." ~ Clarence Darrow
10. "There is something magnificent in having a country to love." ~James Russell Lowell
So on the fifth of May, when you see the flags and the celebration of Cinco de Mayo, understand that it is not just Mexico that is being celebrated. It is victory, democracy and a love of one's heritage. Why not invite friends over for a Cinco De Mayo party and educate them as well?
About the author: For more patriotic quotes, check out the popular patriotic quotes section of Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories. http://www.famous-quotes-and-quotations.com/patriotic-quotes.html
Author: Noel Jameson